General admission requirements
- Bachelor`s degree (or equivalent) in Information Technology, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Information Systems or a related field.
- Applicants with a Bachelor`s degree in Mathematics or Natural Sciences, Technology, Engineering, Business or Economics are eligible if they have completed at least 24 ECTS of courses in Information Technology, including courses in Programming, Database Technology and Software Engineering.
- English language requirement
- Submit the online application via the DreamApply System. Once you do so, you will receive an applicant code that gives access to your account to track your application status. You will be asked to upload the electronic copies of all the required documents to your online application. This step makes the pre-processing of your application quicker and is especially important for candidates applying to more than one program.
- Mail the printed and signed application with all required documents by 15 March to: International Students Service, University of Tartu, Ülikooli 18, Tartu 50090, ESTONIA. We are aware that your documents might take 2 weeks to reach us by post.
The deadline for submitting your application and the required documents is 15 March 2016. This is a firm deadline. Applicants graduating by July 2015 and having their diplomas issued after 15 March can apply. If you are in this category, please submit the application form with the most recent official Transcript of Records by 15 March. Write a note in your motivation letter indicating when will your final diploma be issued. If you fulfill all requirements, we can give you “conditional admission” until you are able to provide your final diploma.
Documents submitted by e-mail are not accepted. We require physical document copies for official verification purposes. We understand that postal mail can take up to two weeks to reach us. If you send your documents by the deadline, we will wait for the documents to reach us prior to evaluating your application.
Applicants who completed or are completing their Bachelors Degree in Estonia can apply via the National Admission Information Systems (SAIS) – further information available here. This alternative procedure is only for applicants who completed their previous degree in an Estonian higher-education institution. Estonian citizens coming from foreign universities as well as international applicants should submit their application using the DreamApply system as indicated above.
Documents to be submitted
- Online application
- Motivation letter. The motivation letter is entered directly in the application form. guidelines and evaluation criteria for the letter are also included in the online application form.
- Official copy of the Bachelor’s diploma or its equivalent and Diploma Supplement (transcript/mark sheet) in the original language
- Official translation of the Bachelor’s diploma and Diploma Supplement (transcript/mark sheet) into English, translation certified
- Proof on the English language proficiency. Requirements are available here
- Copy of the passport page stating the applicant’s personal particulars
In order to be considered official, a diploma or academic transcript must bear a seal and a signature of an authorized official. As a general rule, photocopies of diplomas and transcripts must be certified by the institution that issued the diploma or transcript. Documents with an Apostille are also considered to be official. These are general rules. In addition to these rules, there are country-specific requirements that need to be taken into account.
The online application form allows you to apply for admission in multiple Masters program at University of Tartu in parallel. If you are eligible, we encourage you to apply for University of Tartu’s Masters of Computer Science in addition to applying for the Masters of Software Engineering.
How are applications assessed?
Eligible applications are assigned an “admission score” on a 100-points scale. The admission score is a weighted sum of the score of the motivation letter (weight 40%) and the average grade of the previous level of study (weight 60%). An application will be included in the admissions ranking if the applicant scores 66 points or more.
Places are offered in the order of the ranking: from the highest score down to lower scores.
Note that your English language test results (if applicable) are not used in the calculation of your admission score. However failure to fulfill the English language requirements (see above) is a precondition for your application to be declared eligible. More information about the calculation of the admission score is provided here.
Notification of admission
Notifications of admission will be sent to you by e-mail on 13 May 2016.
If admitted, you will receive an admission offer (including a scholarship offer if applicable) and additional information depending on your circumstances. If admitted, you will have to accept the admission offer using the DreamApply system (or the SAIS system in the case of students with an Estonian ID card).
Once you have confirmed your admission offer, you will be sent a welcome pack with practical information. You may also consult our practical information pages for international students.
Do you have questions?
When it comes to admission procedures, there are many special cases to be considered. If you have any question, please do not hesitate to ask us. We try our best to answer within 1-2 working days.