General admission requirements
- Bachelor`s degree (or equivalent) in Information Technology, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Information Systems or a related field.
- Applicants with a Bachelor`s degree in Mathematics or Natural Sciences, Technology, Engineering, Business or Economics are eligible if they have completed at least 24 ECTS of courses in Information Technology, including courses in Programming, Database Technology and Software Engineering.
- English language requirement
- Submit the online application via the DreamApply System. Once you do so, you will receive an applicant code that gives access to your account to track your application status. You will be asked to upload the electronic copies of all the required documents to your online application. This step makes the pre-processing of your application quicker and is especially important for candidates applying to more than one program.
- Mail the printed and signed application with all required documents by the deadline to: International Students Service, University of Tartu, Ülikooli 18, Tartu 50090, ESTONIA.
The deadline for submitting your application and the required documents is 16 April 2015. This is a firm deadline. Applicants graduating in 2014 and having their diplomas issued later than 16 April (e.g. in July) can also apply. If you are in this category, please submit the application form with the most recent official Transcript of Records by 16 April. Write a note in your motivation letter indicating when will your final diploma be issued. If you fulfill all requirements, we can give you “conditional admission” until you are able to provide your final diploma.
Documents submitted by e-mail are not accepted. We require physical document copies for official verification purposes. We understand that postal mail can take up to two weeks to reach us. If you send your documents by the deadline, we will wait for the documents to reach us prior to evaluating your application.
Applicants who completed or are completing their Bachelors Degree in Estonia can apply via the National Admission Information Systems (SAIS) – further information available here. This alternative procedure is only for applicants who completed their previous degree in an Estonian higher-education institution. Estonian citizens coming from foreign universities as well as international applicants should submit their application using the DreamApply system as indicated above.
Documents to be submitted
- Online application
- Motivation letter. The motivation letter is entered directly in the application form. guidelines and evaluation criteria for the letter are also included in the online application form.
- Official copy of the Bachelor’s diploma or its equivalent and Diploma Supplement (transcript/mark sheet) in the original language
- Official translation of the Bachelor’s diploma and Diploma Supplement (transcript/mark sheet) into English, translation certified
- Proof on the English language proficiency. Requirements are available here
- Copy of the passport page stating the applicant’s personal particulars
In order to be considered official, a diploma or academic transcript must bear a seal and a signature of an authorized official. Photocopies of diplomas and transcripts must be certified. Copies can be certified by a notary, or by the institution that issued the diploma or transcript (some institutions accept to certify copies of documents they have issued themselves). Documents with an Apostille are also considered to be official. These are general rules. In addition to these rules, there are country-specific requirements that need to be taken into account.
Note that the online application form allows you to apply for admission in multiple Masters program at University of Tartu in parallel. If eligible, we encourage you to apply for University of Tartu’s Masters of Computer Science in addition to applying for the Masters of Software Engineering.
Notifications of admission will be sent by 3 June 2014 by e-mail.
Upon admission, you will receive an admission letter (with a scholarship offer if applicable) as well as additional information depending on your circumstances. You may also consult our practical information pages for international students.
Do you have questions?
When it comes to admission procedures, there are many special cases to be considered. If you have any question, please do not hesitate to ask us. We try our best to answer within 1-2 working days.